Carroll County is named for Charles Carroll, who was a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence.
Created: June 9, 1825
McIntosh Reserve 1825 – 1819
Carrollton 1829 – present
Old County Courthouse – Carrollton
Location: 323 Newman Street / Dixie Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Italian Renaissance Revival
Architect: William J J Chase
Contractor: Carr Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story limestone structure. The north front has a central entrance framed with stone and two columns with pediment and clock above. The second story has three large arched windows with the center section rising above the east and west wings. The Annex on the west side was built in 1974 and 1975. The architect was Roddenberry & Talley and the contractor was W O Kilgore. The annex was torn down in 2011 to make room for the new courthouse.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1849. The second courthouse was designed by Bruce & Morgan and constructed in 1893. The building burned in 1927.
County Courthouse – Carrollton
Location: 323 Newman Street / Tanner Street
Built: 2011 – 2012
Architect: Alex Roush Architect and Gardner, Spencer, Smith, Tench & Jarbeau
Contractor: J&R Construction & Development
Description: The building faces north and is a five story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The north front has a large two story portico with recessed entrance. Stone facing rises to the fifth story. The roof line is flat. The old courthouse is located on the east side of the plaza in front of the new building.
Photos taken 2010 and 2014