Washington County

US States / A-G / Florida / Washington County
Washington

Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Holmes County and Jackson County

E – Jackson County and Bay County

S – Bay County

W – Walton County

 

Created:  December 9, 1825                  Map of Florida highlighting Washington County

County Seat:

Vernon  1825 – 1927

Chipley  1927 – present

 

Former County Courthouse – Chipley

 

Location:  1293 Jackson Avenue / 3rd Street

Built:  1932 – 1933

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Frank Lockwood

Contractor:  Sutton Brothers

 

Description: The building faced north and was a three story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building was located on landscaped grounds in the center of Chipley. The north front had a large porch with six large columns rising to a header at the top of the third story. The entrance was trimmed with stone. A wide cornice run below the flat roof line. The cornerstone from the 1896 courthouse in Vernon was located in the building. The courthouse was demolisged in 2014 when the present courthouse was constructed on the same site.

 

County Courthouse – Chipley

 

251f18

 

Location:  1293 Jackson Avenue / 3rd Street

Built:  2014 – 2016

Style:  Modern

Architect:  JRA Architects, Inc. of Tallahassee

Contractor:  GAC Contractors of Panama City

 

Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Chipley. The north front has six high columns rising to the roof line. The central entrance is recessed with glass walls rising to the third story. The exterior is a yellow color and a white colored belt runs around the building below the third story. At the flat roof line is a raised pediment on the north side. In the interior, the two courtrooms are located on the third story. The building houses the Circuit Court of the 14th Judicial Circuit and County Court. 

 

See:  The 14th Judicial District includes Bay CountyCalhoun County, Gulf CountyJackson County

 

History:  The county was created in 1825 and Vernon was selected as the county seat. The first court met in local homes around Moss Hill near Vernon. The first courthouse was erected in 1849. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1896 to 1897. The building was three stories high and featured a tower and numerous fireplaces. The county seat was moved to Chipley in 1927. The third courthouse was constructed in 1929 to 1932. The courthouse was raised when the fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2014 to 2016 at a cost of $9,200,000.

 

See:  The county is located in the First Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – First Judicial District located in Tallahassee.

 

 

1457f09

Former County Courthouse ( demolished ) – Chipley

 

 

1458f09

 

 

1459f09

 

 

1462f09

 

 

v

Cornerstone 1896 Courthouse

 

 

249f18

County Courthouse – Chipley

 

 

252f18

 

 

253f18

 

 

254f18

 

 

256f18

 

 

257f18

 

 

259f18

 

 

260f18

 

 

261f18

 

 

262f18

 

 

263f18

 

 

264f18

 

 

265f18

 

 

268f18

Photos taken 2009 and 2018