Walton County is named for George Walton, who was Secretary of the Florida Territory from 1821 to 1826.
Created: December 29, 1824
De Funiak Springs 1848 – present
County Courthouse – De Funiak Springs
Location: 571 East Nelson Avenue / 6th Street
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Warren Knight and Davis of Birmingham, Alabama and Chandler C Young of Pensacola
Contractor: A C Samford of Montgomery, Alabama
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of De Funiak Springs. The south front projects from the main building and has a portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the third story. The east and west wings are lower in height. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. On the north side the new section extends east from the main building and the east front has a curved entrance with columns. The roof is sloped. The addition to the building was added in 2007. The architect was Hatch, Mott, MacDonald Florida, LLC and the contractor was Speagle Construction, Inc.
S – Gulf of Mexico
W – Okaloosa County
Counnty Courthouse - De Funiak Springs
Photos taken 2009 and 2018