Wakulla County is named for the Timucuan Native American word meaning “spring of water” or “mysterious water”.
Created: March 11, 1843
Port Leon 1843 – 1844
Newport 1844 – 1880
Crawfordville 1880 – present
County Courthouse – Crawfordville
Location: 3056 Crawfordville Highway / Arran Road
Built: 1948 – 1949
Style: Art Deco
Architect: James A Stripling
Contractor: S J Curry & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story white colored stucco structure. The building is a “U” shape with two wings extending west. The east front has four large vertical pillars with the center section having large windows with many window pains. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1991. The architect was Mays Leroy Gray.
Old County Courthouse – Crawfordville
Location: SE – High Drive / Ochlockonee Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Architect: G W Tully
Contractor: Thomas McGlynn
Description: The building faces north and is a three story square white colored wood structure. The north and west sides have central entrances on the first story. The windows are vertical and narrow. The roof is hipped with peaks on each side of the building. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white wood cupola with steep roof. The building is now the Wakulla County Library.
N – Leon County
E – Jefferson County
S – Gulf of Mexico
Photos taken 2009