Volusia County is named for Volusia Landing on the St. Johns River where a treaty was signed with the Seminoles and the name derived from Veluche, who was an early settler and tradesman.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Putnam County and Flagler County
S – Brevard County, Orange County and Seminole County
W – Lake County and Marion County
Created: December 29, 1854
Enterprise 1854 – 1888
DeLand 1888 – present
County Courthouse – DeLand
Location: 101 North Alabama Avenue / East Indiana Street
Built: 2000 – 2001
Architect: Vitetta Group
Contractor: Haskell / Peck, A Joint Venture
Description: The building faces west and is a four story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of DeLand. The building is “U” shaped with a central high square tower. Along the first story are arches with a recessed entrance. The north and south wings project from the main building. The fourth story has a white colored facade and the walls on the central part of the building also have a white colored facade. The building houses the Circuit Court of the 7th Judicial Circuit and County Court.
Old County Courthouse – DeLand
Location: 120 West Indiana Avenue / Florida Avenue
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: W D Harper & Company
Contractor: James Peterson Construction Company and T K Apgar
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located in the center of DeLand to the west of the courthouse. The building is an “H” shape with the north and south sections being wide and the east and west center sections being recessed. The north front has a projecting center section with a large porch with two columns rising to a wide header. Along the roof line is a balustrade. The center of the building rises to four stories and on the center of the roof is a large dome with clock and green colored roof and with octagonal lantern at the top. In the interior is a large rotunda with stained glass skylight under the dome and marble fountain at the base. The courtroom is located on the second story.
See: The 7th Judicial Circuit includes Flagler County, Putnam County and St Johns County.
See: The county is located in the Fifth Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – Fifth Judicial District located in Daytona Beach.
History: The county was created in 1854 and Enterprise was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story wood structure built on the lakefront of Lake Monroe in 1855. The second courthouse was built in 1867 on the site of the present Elementary School. In 1888, the county seat was moved to DeLand. The third courthouse was a two story structure designed and built by John Porter Mace in 1889 to 1890. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1929. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 2000 to 2001.
See: Located in the county is the Court of Appeal – Fifth Judicial District.
County Administration Building – DeLand
Location: 123 West Indiana Avenue / North Florida Avenue
Built: 1986 – 1988
Architect: Spillis Candela Partners Inc.
Contractor: Gilbane Building Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story yellow and cream colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of DeLand to the west of the courthouse. The west wing extends south and the north section has a curved front which connects the north wing. The north wing has an open arch on the first story and a reflecting pond extends south toward the old county courthouse. There is a large skylight in the interior. The building is named as the Thomas C Kelly Administration Center.
Other Branch Courthouses
Daytona Beach New Smyrna Beach
County Courthouse - DeLand
Old County Courthouse - DeLand
County Circuit Court courtroom
County Administration Building - DeLand
Photos taken 2009, 2018 and 2023