Union County is named for the union of states of the United States of America.
Created: May 20, 1921
Lake Butler 1921 – present
County Courthouse – Lake Butler
Location: 55 West Main Street / NW 1st Avenue
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John Pearson of Gainesville
Contractor: Works Progress Administration
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a projecting central section with large stone trimmed arch at the entrance with arched window on the second story. The corners are trimmed with stone. A cornice runs below the roof line. The building was a Works Progress Administration project. An additions were added in 1967. The architect was Harry E Burns Jr. and the contractor was Vinson T Forrester Jr. From 1999 to 2000, renovation was done. The architect was T C Skinner & Associates Inc. of Gainesville and the contractor was Scott Peterson Construction of Jacksonville.
Note: The cost of construction was $39,000.
Old County Courthouse – Lake Butler
Location: 285 NE First Avenue / NW 3rd Street
Style: Wood Frame
Description: The building faces north and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a one story veranda. On the west side is a stone chimney and central porch. The building foundation is stone and the roof is hipped. The building served as the courthouse from 1922 to 1936 and is now the Women’s Club.
Note: In 1936, the building was moved from the courthouse square to its present location.
N – Baker County
E – Bradford County
S – Alachua County
W – Columbia County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2009 and 2018