Suwannee County

US States / A-G / Florida / Suwannee County
Suwannee

Suwannee County is named for the Suwannee River which forms the northern. Western and some of the southern boundary of the county, and the name was a corruption of the Spanish “San Juan ( St.   John )” or from the Cherokee word “sawani” meaning “echo river”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Hamilton County

E – Columbia County

S – Gilchrist County

W – Lafayette County and Madison County

 

Created:  December 21, 1858                Map of Florida highlighting Suwannee County

County Seat:

Houston   1858 – 1868

Live Oak  1868 – present

 

County Courthouse – Live Oak

 

Location:  200 Ohio Avenue South / Warren Street

Built:  1904 – 1905

Style:  Renaissance Revival

Architect:  Benjamin B Smith of Montgomery, Alabama

Contractor:  Hugger Brothers of Montgomery, Alabama.

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story yellow colored brick, cast stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Live Oak. The east front has a projecting porch with three large arches and balcony on the second story. A wide belt between the two stories wraps around the building. A large square brick clock tower rises above the east entrance with clock at the top and surmounted by a green colored copper dome. The north and south wings project and have peaked roofs. The main roof is hipped. A one story brick and concrete addition was added to the rear of the building in 1965.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Suwannee County Courthouse

 

History:  The first county seat was the home of William Hines in 1858 and then at Houston in 1859. The county seat was moved in Live Oak in 1868 and court was held in the Baptist Church until it burned in 1870. The court then met in the store of John Parshley. The first courthouse was a two story structure built in 1873 at a cost of $8,000. The building was later moved across the street from the present courthouse and then later demolished after several other moves. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 and 1905.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Live Oak

 

1196f09

 

Location:  215 Pine Street / Warren Street

Built:  1948 – 1949

Style:  Modern

Architect:  H T Howell

Contractor:  J A Fortner and J D Carmichael

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Live Oak on the west side of the courthouse. The west front has a central entrance with recessed doorway on the first story and window on the second story. A wide white colored section runs below the flat roof line. The courthouse is located on the east side.

 

 

1191f09

County Courthouse – Live Oak

 

 

1190f09

 

 

1192f09

 

 

1194f09

 

 

1197f09

 

 

1195f09

Photos taken 2009