Sumter County is named for Sumter, South Carolina, from whence a number of settlers originated.
Created: January 8, 1853
Other Locations 1853 – 1858
Bushnell 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Bushnell
Location: 209 North Florida Street / East McCollum Avenue
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Spanish-Mediterranean Revival
Architect: William Augustine Edwards of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: J F Jenkins
Description: The building faces west and is a two story brown colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a large church-like portico on the west front with four high white colored columns forming high arches. At each end of the portico are brick towers with octagonal cupolas at the top with red colored roofs. The courtroom is located on the third story. An addition was constructed in 1974. The architect was Louis C George and the contractor was P & C Thompson Brothers and Walton T Locke. The building is connected to the County Judicial Center on the east side.
County Judicial Building – Bushnell
Location: 225 East McCollum Avenue / Justice Street
Built: 1996 – 1997
Architect: Gee & Jenson
Contractor: Dix Construction
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is connected to the courthouse on the west side. The north front of the building has a portico similar to the courthouse with four white colored columns and recessed entrance.
N – Marion County
E – Lake County
S – Polk County
New addition connecting the Courthouse and Judicial Building
County Judicial Building
Photos taken 2009 and 2018