St. Lucie County

US States / A-G / Florida / St. Lucie County
St. Lucie

St. Lucie County is named for Saint Lucie of Syracuse which was the name of a Spanish Fort built near Cape Canaveral in 1565.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Indian River County

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Martin County

W – Okeechobee County

 

Created:  May 24, 1905                          Map of Florida highlighting St. Lucie County

County Seat:

Susanna                      1844 – 1879

Titusville ( Brevard )    1879 – 1905

Fort Pierce                  1905 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fort Pierce

 

Location:  218 South 2nd Street / Atlantic Avenue

Built:  1959 – 1961 / 1988 – 1990

Style:  Modern

Architect:  James Samble  – Roger, Lovelock & Fritz

Contractor:  Bluttes Construction Corporation

 

Description: The building faces west and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the landscaped grounds of the County Courthouse Complex in the center of Fort Pierce. There is a projecting one story entrance at the center of the west front. The building joins the modern addition on the south side and the County Clerk of Courts Building on the north side. In 1988 to 1990, a modern two story addition was constructed on the south side and iwhich s  a concrete, glass and polished stone structure. The north front has a large square portico supported by high pillars. Along the front are narrow vertical windows divided by vertical pillars. The roof line is flat. On the east side is a large glass wall. The building joins the  courthouse on the north side. The building houses the Circuit Court of the 19th Judicial Circuit and County Court. The addition architect was Stebbing & Scott and the contractor was M J Anderson.

 

County Clerk’s Office – Fort Pierce

 

0587f09

 

Location:  221 South Indian River Drive / Atlantic Avenue

Built:  2005 – 2007

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Edlund Dritenbas Binkley

Contractor:  Davis Brook Enterprises, Inc.

 

Description: The building faces north and is a five story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds og the County Courthouse Complex in the center of Fort Pierce. The lower part of the building has brown colored brick and the upper part is yellow colored brick. The northeast corner has an octagonal tower with recessed entrance. Along the sides are tiers of white colored balconies. The building is connected on the south side to the courthouse. The building houses the Office of the Clerk of Courts. 

 

History:  In 1565, Fort Saint Lucia was built by the Spanish at the Jupiter Inlet. In 1810, the area was known as East Florida and in 1821 became St. Johns County. In 1840, it became Mosquito County and then St. Lucie County in 1844 with county seat at Susanna. In 1880, it became part of Brevard County with county seat at Titusville. The present county was created in 1905 and Fort Pierce was selected as the county seat. The first courts met in the Fort Pierce Improvement Club Hall on North Second Street. The first courthouse was a two story red colored brick structure designed by H I Klopp and constructed by Mutual Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky in 1909 on South Second Street at a cost of $31,000. The second courthouse was constructed on the east side of the same site in 1959 to 1961. The 1909 courthouse was razed when the new courthouse was completed. An addition was constructed in 1988 to 1990.

 

County Administration Building – Fort Pierce

 

1971f18

 

Location:  2300 Virginia Avenue / South 23rd Street

Built:  1986 – 1988

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Southeastern Corporation

Contractor:  Robert F Wilson Inc.

 

Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the on the southwest side of the center of Fort Pierce. On the east is the three story rectangular shaped section with glass panels across the north front with a recessed center entrance. The roof line is flat. On the west side is a long two story section with flat roof line which was constructed earlier in 1976 to 1977.  The building is named as the Roger E Portras Building. 

 

See:  The county is located in the Fourth Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – Fourth Judicial District located in West Palm Beach.

 

 

0584f09

County Courthouse – Fort Pierce

 

 

1986f18

 

 

1987f18  

 

 

1989f18

 

 

1990f18

 

 

1977f18

County Courthouse Addition - Fort Pierce  

 

 

1978f18

 

 

1982f18

 

 

1980f18

 

 

0580f09

 

 

0581f09

 

 

0585f09

 

 

0582f09

 

 

0583f09

 

 

0586f09

County Clerk’s Office – Fort Pierce

 

 

1993f18

 

 

1994f18

 

 

1992f18

 

 

0588f09

 

 

0578f09

 

 

1970f18

County Administration Building – Fort Pierce  

 

 

1972f18

 

 

1973f18

 

 

1974f18

 

 

1975f18

Photos taken 2009 and 2018