Seminole County

US States / A-G / Florida / Seminole County
Seminole

Seminole County is named for the Seminole Native American tribe who resided in the region.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Volusia County

E – Volusia County

S – Orange County

W – Orange County and Lake County

 

Created:  April 25, 1913                         Map of Florida highlighting Seminole County

County Seat:

Sanford  1913 – present

 

County Courthouse – Sanford 

 

Location:  301 North Park Avenue / East Seminole Boulevard

Built:  1971 – 1972

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Gutmann, Dragash, Matz

Contractor:  Greenhut Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces west and is a three story glass and concrete structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Sanford. The building has north and south wings with vertical glass panel walls divided by concrete. The central entrance is located in the center of the west side.

 

 

County Criminal Justice Center – Sanford 

 

Location:  101 Eslinger Way / South Orlando Drive

Built:  2002 – 2004

Style:  Modern

Architect:  HKS Architects and ACi Inc.

Contractor:  The Haskell Company

 

Description: The building faces east and is a four story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of Sanford. The east front has a two story projecting entrance section. The central section rises to a square brown colored section rising above the roof line, and with small square section above. The north and south wings are two stories. The building is named as the Seminole County Justice Center and Public Safety Administration Building. 

 

County Juvenile Justice Center – Sanford 

 

Location:  190 Eslinger Way / South Orlando Drive

Built:  1999 – 2001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Scott + Cormia Architecture

Contractor:  Unknown

Desscription: The building faces east and i

Built in 1999, the modern building is a one story slit face stone, stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of Sanford. The east front has a large semi-circular section with pillars between recessed windows. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The county was created in 1913 and Sanford was designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was the Welborne Building on North Hark Street which became the Valdez Hotel. The second courthouse in 1918 was the Elks Club designed by L Percival Hunter and built in 1913. The third courthouse was constructed in 1971 to 1972 and is still standing. The County Criminal Justice Center was constructed in 2002 to 2004.

 

 

0420f09

County Courthouse – Sanford

 

 

0421f09

 

 

0422f09

 

 

0423f09

 

 

0424f09

Photos taken 2009