Sarasota County is named for a word in the indigenous Calusa language which means “Point of Rocks” or “Place of the Dance”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Manatee County
S – Charlotte County
W – Gulf of Mexico
Created: May 14, 1921
Sarasota 1921 – present
County Courthouse – Sarasota
Location: 2000 Main Street / South Washington Boulevard
Built: 1925 – 1927
Style: Spanish-Mediterranean Revival
Architect: Dwight James Baum
Contractor: Stevenson & Cameron
Description: The building faces north and is a two story yellow colored stucco structure. The building has a high square tower in the center with open rounded dome at the top. The east and west wings form a courtyard with the tower at the south end. The building is shaped like an “H” with arcades connecting the wings. The building has stucco over hollow clay. The court section is on the east side. Additions were added in 1955 and 1965.
County Judicial Center – Sarasota
Location: 2071 Ringland Boulevard / East Avenue
Built: 1997 – 1998
Architect: Hansen. Meyer, Barger + Dean Associates
Contractor: Metric–Dooley and Mack Construction
Description: The building faces north and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The north front has a lower section with open arches and balcony. The main building rises to long vertical windows near the top.
County Administration Center – Sarasota
Location: 101 South Washington Boulevard / Ringland Boulevard
Built: 1924 – 1925
Architect: Pringle & Smith
Contractor: Charles Edward Ringling
Description: The building faces west and is an eleven story concrete and steel structure. The building was constructed as The Ringling Terrace Hotel and later named as the Sarasota Terrace Hotel. On the west side is the central entrance on the first story. In 1972, the hotel was purchased by the county. The building was renovated in 1981. The architect was West and Conveys.
South County Administration Center – South Venice
Location: 4000 South Tamaimi Trail / Annex Road
Built: 1978 – 1988
Architect: George Palero Architect, Inc.
Contractor: Bill Halfacre, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stucco, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with a pond on the north side. The building faces north and was completed in 1988. The north front of the rectangular building has a projecting central section with arched entrance and peaked roof. The windows are arched on the second story. The roof is hipped. On the south side is a small building containing the Commissioner Chambers. The building is named as the Robert L Anderson South County Administration Center.
County Courthouse -
Photos taken 2009 and 2015