Polk County is named for James K Polk, who was the eight President of the United States of America.
Created: February 8, 1861
Mud Lake 1861 – 1867
Bartow 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Bartow
Location: 255 North Broadway Avenue / West Church Street
Built: 1986 – 1987
Architect: W Wade Setlife & Associates
Contractor: Bartow-Malow Company
Description: The building faces north and is a ten story concrete and glass structure. There is a central tower with square lines. On the east and west are low three story Japanese style wings with arcades and green colored tile roofs.
Old County Courthouse – Bartow
Location: 100 East Main Street / North Broadway Avenue
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: Mutual Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a high portico on the south front with four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On either side of the portico are square brick towers with silver colored domes. In the center of the building is a large round dome with clock and silver roof and at the top is a small silver cupola. The east and west wings were added in 1926. The old historic courtroom is located on the east side of the second story and a large courtroom is located in the west wing on the second story.
See: The architect, Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia..
See: The contractor, Mutual Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky, constructed courthouses in Baker County, Jefferson County, Lafayette County and Pasco County; and in Georgia in Harris County.
County Administration – Bartow
Location: 330 West Church Street / North Miller Avenue
Built: 1989 – 1990
Architect: Straughn-Furr Associates
Contractor: Scandia, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The south front has a large portico supported by four columns and rising to a high peak above the roof line. On the first story is a one story portico at the entrance. The building rises in tiers. The roof line is flat.
See: Located in the county is the Court of Appeal – Second Judicial District - Lakeland.
E – Osceola County
Photos taken 2009 and 2018