Pinellas County is named for the Spanish “Punta Pinal” meaning “Point of Pines” or “Piney Point”.
Created: May 23, 1911
Clearwater 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Clearwater
Location: 1115 Manatee Avenue West / 11th Street
Built: 1961 – 1963
Architect: Rader and Associates
Contractor: Allen M Campbell Company
Description: The building faces north and is a six story rectangular shaped concrete and glass structure. The first story has a recessed arcade along the east and north sides of the building with glass walls. On the north and south sides, the windows are set in large vertical sections with panels between each story. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Clearwater
Location: 324 South Fort Harrison Avenue / Court Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Francis J Kennard
Contractor: Bates-Hudnall-Jetton Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building has a high porch on the east front with four large columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The north and south wings are recessed. On the south side of the building is the modern six story brick, concrete and glass County Office Annex.
N – Pasco County
S – Manatee County
W – Gulf of Mexico
Photos taken 2009