Osceola County

US States / A-G / Florida / Osceola County
Osceola

Osceola County is named for Osceola, who was the Native American Indian leader who led the Second Seminole War.

 

Created:  May 12, 1887

County Seat:

Kissimmee  1887 – present

 

County Courthouse – Kissimmee 

 

Location:  2 Courthouse Square / Emmett Street / Rose Avenue

Built:  2001 – 2003

Style:  Modern

Architect:  HLM Design of North America of Orlando

Contractor:  Centex Rooney/Gray Construction of Kissimmeee

 

Description: The building faces north and is a six story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building has a square tower on the northeast corner with white colored trim at the top. On the west side of the tower is the entrance with an extended canopy. The fourth story has small horizontal windows. The building forms part of the complex with the old courthouse to the northwest and the Administration Building to the north.

 

Old County Courthouse – Kissimmee 

 

0489f09

 

Location:  1 Courthouse Square / Emmett Street / Rose

Built:  1889 – 1890

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  F C Johnson

Contractor:  George H Frost

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The east portico has three arched entrances on the first story and three arches on the second story with side arches on each story. Above the portico rises a square bell tower with white wood cupola at the top. There is stone trim. The building was renovated in 2000. The architect was  HLM Design of North America of Orlando and the contractior was Centex Rooney/Gray of Kissimmee.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Florida in continuous use.

 

 County Administration – Kissimmee 

 

0504f09

 

Location:  3 Courthouse Square / Emmett Street / Rose

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Watsonand Company

Contractor:  H J High Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a one story portico. A wide white colored band runs along the flat roof line. The building faces the old courthouse. The building was remodeled in 2000. The architect was HLM Design of North America of Orlando and the contractor was Centex Rooney/Gray Construction of Kissimmee.

 

Courthouses: 

 Orange County

E – Brevard County and Indian River County

S – Okeechobee County

W – Polk County

 

 

 

0497f09

 

 

0496f09

 

 

0500f09

 

 

0503f09

 

 

0501f09

 

 

0488f09

 

 

0490f09

 

 

0491f09

 

 

0492f09

 

 

0493f09

 

 

0494f09

 

 

0505f09

 

 

0506f09

 

 

0507f09

 

 

0508f09

 

 

0495f09

Photos taken 2009