Orange County is named for the orange orchards which are located in the county.
Created: December 29, 1824
Enterprise 1824 – 1845
Orlando 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Orlando
Location: 425 North Orange Avenue / East Amelia Street
Built: 1996 – 1997
Architect: Hanson Lind Meyers Inc.
Contractor: HLM/Design/ TD / P&D of Charlotte, North Carolina
Description: The building faces west and is a twenty three story glass and concrete structure. The north and south wings are five story. The central tower is on the east side with a plaza on the west side. The central entrance is a high semicircular.
Old County Courthouse – Orlando
Location: 65 East Central Boulevard / Court Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Greek
Architect: Murray S King and James B King
Contractor: A Bentley and Sons Company
Description: The building faces south and Built in 1926, the building is a four story stone structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1927. The south front has three central arches at the entrances. On the second story are high vertical windows. A cornice runs above the second story. The third story has small windows. The roof line is flat. An annex was constructed in 1960. The architect was Ralph P Lovelock and James B King. The building houses the Orange County Regional History Center.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by A S Wagner and constructed in 1892. The building was demolished
E – Brevard County
S – Osceola County
W – Lake County
Photos taken 2009