Okeechobee County is named for Okeechobee Lake, the largest lake in Florida, and the name comes from the Hitchiti words “oki” meaning “water” and “chubi” meaning “big”.
Created: April 24, 1913
Okeechobee May 8, 1917 – present
County Courthouse – Okeechobee
Location: 312 NW 3rd Avenue / NW 3rd Street
Built: 2004 – 2005
Architect: Michael A Shiff & Associates
Contractor: David Brooks Enterprises Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the north of the old courthouse. The building has a large enclosed portico on the south front with glass walls and red colored roof. The main part of the building has a pink colored façade with rounded corners and rounded glass bay windows. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Okeechobee County Judicial Center.
Old County Courthouse – Okeechobee
Location: 304 NW 2nd Street / NW 3rd Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Spanish and Mediterranean Revival
Architect: George Gaynor Hyde of Miami
Contractor: Roger and Duncanson
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The center section projects from the main building and has has a large open arch with a double set of stairs inside. The courtroom is located in the center of the second story. The hipped roof has red colored tiles. The building was renovated in 2009 to 2010. The architect was Rowe Architects Incorporated and the contractor was Dooley Mack Constructors.
Note: Due to the collapse of the Florida Land Boom during the construction of the courthouse, the central dome was never built. After the 1928 Okeechobee hurricane, the hallways were used as a temporary morgue. What was planned and built as an open breezeway in the middle of the first floor was later enclosed, but the winding stairways to the second floor courtroom still remains.
S – Martin County
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2009 and 2018