Okaloosa County is named for the Choctaw Native America word meaning “black water” as the county has black water streams and the Blackwater River.
Created: June 3, 1915
Crestview 1915 – present
Former County Courthouse – Crestview
Location: 101 East James Lee Boulevard / East Main Street
Built: 1918 – 1919
Contractor: Dobson & Company
Description: The building faced north and was a two story white colored stucco, concrete and glass structure. The north and south fronts had high rectangular framed sections with vertical green dividers over recessed windows. The east and west wings were lower in height and have small windows. The roof line was flat. In 1955, the building was remodeled substantially to create the Moderne style. The architect was Charles H McCauley and the contractor was Jones and Hardy. An addition to the building was added in 1963. The architect was Charles H McCauley and the contractor was Southeastern Steel. The building was demolished in 2017.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Dobson & Company in 1918.
County Courthouse – Crestview
Location: 101 East James Lee Boulevard / Main Street
Built: 2017 – 2018
Architect: Sam Marshall Architects
Contractor: Ajax Building Corporation.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is under construction and will be completed in July 2018.
E – Walton County
S – Gulf of Mexico
Fotmer County Courthouse ( demolished )
County Courthouse ( under construction )
Photos taken 2009