Martin County is named for John W Martin, who was the Governor of Florida from 1925 to 1929.
Created: May 30, 1925
Stuart 1925 – present
County Courthouse – Stuart
Location: 100 East Ocean Boulevard / SE Detroit Avenue
Built: 1987 – 1988
Architect: PDR Architects Inc.
Contractor: Frank J Rooney Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a four story concrete and glass structure. There is an east wing with large glass windows and a southwest wing. Both are joined by a covered porch supported by columns. The building is named as the Peter L Cheney Courts Complex. The building was reconstructed in 1996. The architect was CH2M Hill and the contractor was Kelsey Construction Inc.
Old County Courthouse – Stuart
Location: 80 East Ocean Boulevard / SE Detroit Avenue
Style: Art Deco
Architect: L Phillip Clarke of West Palm Beach ( 1937 )
Contractor: Chalker & Lund ( 1937 )
Description: The building faces north and is a two story poured concrete with terrazzo floors structure. The roof line is flat. The building was rebuilt in 1937. The building was originally a public school and became the courthouse in 1925.
Note: In 1954 the county bought a building to the west that had been used as an automobile dealership by Web Ordway Ford and later as an A & P grocery store and converted it into a courthouse annex. At the same time the county extended the original courthouse and the 1937 addition west to abut the annex and joined their hallways. The county also extended the 1937 addition and the old school house on the east side. Both of these 1954 additions were bland, utilitarian structures of no particular architectural merit. Later when the county outgrew this assemblage of buildings, it decided to build a new courthouse and constitutional officers complex to the south of the original courthouse and to tear down the original courthouse, all additions and the annex. The City of Stuart, though, with much public support, prevailed on the county commission to save the 1937 addition and to use it as a cultural center. There was some sentiment to save the original schoolhouse building, but this was determined not to be feasible.
N – St. Lucie County
Photos taken 2009