Madison County

US States / A-G / Florida / Madison County
Madison

Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.

 

Created:  December 26, 1827

County Seat:

San Pedro  1827 – 1840

Madison      1840 – present

 

County Courthouse – Madison

 

Location:  125 SW Range Street / Base Street

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Bishop and Greer

Contractor:  J L Crouse

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and the west and east fronts have high porticoes supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is stone trim on the corners. A balustrade runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square tower topped with a white cupola with clock. There are smaller domes on each corner of the building. The building was remodeled in 1988. The architect was  Clemans, Rutherford and Associates and the contractor was W Dawson Rutherford Construction Company.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1880 and was destroyed by fire.

 

Courthouses: 

– Brooks County, Georgia and Lowndes County, Georgia

E – Hamilton County and Suwannee County

S – Lafayette County and Taylor County

W – Jefferson County

 

 

 

1266f09

 

 

1267f09

 

 

1268f09

 

 

1270f09

 

 

1272f09

 

 

1271f09

Photos taken 2009