Liberty County is named for the right and privilege of liberty.
Created: December 15, 1855
Bristol 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Bristol
Location: 10818 NW State Highway 20 / Virginia G Weaver Street
Built: 1940 – 1942
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Yonge & Hart of Pensacola
Contractor: Jack Culpepper of Tallahassee
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and the south front has a projecting central section with first story entrance trimmed with stone. Above the entrance is a window also trimmed with stone. The courtroom is located on the second story. The east and west sections are slightly lower in height. There is projecting wing on the southwest side constructed in 1971. The architect was Charles A Gaskin and the contractor was Kolmetz Construction Company. A further addition was constructed on the northwest side in 2000. The architect was Collins & Associates, Inc. and the contractor was Eldridge Construction, Inc. The consulting engineer was Preble Rich, Inc.
See: The architect Yonge and Hart also designed the Florida Supreme Court in Tallahassee.
Note: The previous courthouse was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1940 and court was held at the local hotel until the present courthouse was constructed.
S – Franklin County
Photos taken 2009 and 2018