Lake County

US States / A-G / Florida / Lake County
Lake

Lake County is named for the numerous lakes found in the county which number over five hundred lakes.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Marion County and Putnam County

E – Volusia CountySeminole County and Orange County

S – Polk County

W – Sumter County and Marion County

 

Created:  May 13, 1887                          Map of Florida highlighting Lake County

County Seat:

Tavares  1887 – present

 

County Courthouse – Tavares 

 

Location:  550 West Main Street / North Barrow Avenue

Built:  1991 – 1992

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum Inc. (HOK)

Contractor:  Barton Malow Construction Management

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Tavares. The east section is a low building faced with pink colored stone. On the west side is a four story buff brick section with square windows. In the center is a higher square buff colored tower. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Judicial Center.

 

Old County Courthouse – Tavares 

 

0443f09

 

Location:  315 West Main Street / South Sinclair Avenue

Built:  1922 – 1923

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  F H Trimble and Alan J MacDonough

Contractor:  C C Hanner

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a four story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Tavares to the south of the courthouse. The north front has three central arches with recessed doorways. On the second story is a balustrade balcony and eight columns rising to the top of the third story. The center section is recessed. Below the fourth story is a wide cornice. The roof line is flat. The first floor of the courthouse contains a central lobby area surrounded by small offices, and the grand stairway that leads to the upper floors. The open lobby area of the first floor, displays restored original plaster ceilings, cornices, and trim. The second floor is the mezzanine surrounded by offices. Originally, the third floor contained the offices of the County Court and now it accommodates the offices of the Planning Department. The staircase leading to the third floor reflects the tile work and detail similar to the grand staircase. The fourth floor originally contained the court room and holding cells, and now has temporary offices. The building was remodeled in 1964 and restored in 1997.

 

 County Administration – Tavares 

 

0454f09

 

Location:  315 West Main Street / South Sinclair Avenue

Built:  1975 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Gutmann, Dregash & Matz Architects Inc. and Jones Dickerson Associates Architects & Planners Inc.

Contractor:  P & C Thompson Brothers Construction Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a four story circular concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Tavares to the southeast of the courthouse. The roof line is flat. The building is on the east side of the old courthouse. The building served as the third courthouse until the fourth courthouse was constructed.

 

History:  The county seat was Tavares in 1887. The first courthouse was a two story structure designed by Jacob Sears and built by St. Clair Abrams in 1888 to 1889. Known as the Pioneer Building, the cost of construction was $10,000. The second courthouse was constructed in 1922 to 1923 and is still standing. The third courthouse was constructed in 1975 to 1976 at a cost of $250,000 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1991 to 1992.

 

 

0437f09

County Courthouse – Tavares

 

 

0438f09

 

 

0439f09

 

 

0440f09

 

 

0444f09

Old County Courthouse - Tavares

 

 

0445f09

 

 

0446f09

 

 

0447f09

 

 

0448f09

 

 

0449f09

 

 

0451f09

County Administration - Tavares

 

 

0452f09

 

 

0453f09

 

 

0455f09

Photos taken 2009