Highlands County is named for the highlands located in the county.
Created: April 23, 1921
Sebring 1921 – present
County Courthouse – Sebring
Location: 430 South Commerce Avenue / South Orange Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Fred A Bishop
Contractor: D L Phipps
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story gray stone structure. The building has a large portico on the southwest front supported by four large columns which rise to a wide header at the top of the second story. A wide cornice runs below the third story which story has a flat roof line. An addition has been added on the northeast side.
County Government Center – Sebring
Location: 540 South Commerce Avenue / South Eucalyptus Street
Built: 1995 – 1997
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum, Inc.
Contractor: Peter R Brown Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the courthouse. The southwest front has a recessed first story with glass walls . At the center are vertical concrete columns with recessed entrance. Towards the south side the building extends with a curved on story section. The roof line is flat. The building houses the county administration.
N – Polk County
S – Glades County
County Government Center
Photos taken 2009 and 2018