Hamilton County

US States / A-G / Florida / Hamilton County
Hamilton

Hamilton County is named for Alexander Hamilton, who was the first United States Secretary of the Treasury.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

– Lowndres County, Georgia and Echols County, Georgia

E – Columbia County

S – Columbia County and Suwannee County

W – Madison County

 

Created:  December 26, 1827                Map of Florida highlighting Hamilton County

County Seat:

Micco       1828 – 1836

Wallburg  1836 – 1838

Jasper      1838 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jasper

 

Location:  207 1st Street NE / 2nd Avenue NE

Built:  1931 – 1932

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Mark & Sheftall

Contractor:  Bland & Foster

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jasper. The south front has a small covered entrance at the center which projects from the building. The west front section also projects with a wide black colored horizontal band at the sloped roof line. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the first story. The building houses the Circuit Court of the 3rd Judicial Circuit and County Court. The building was remodeled in 1955. The architect was Yonge, Look & Morrison and the contractor was I T Carter Construction. The building was again remodeled in 1968. In 2002 the building was renovated and the architect was Jackson-Reeger Inc.

 

See:  The 3rd Judicial District includes Columbia CountyDixie County, Lafayette CountyMadison County, Suwannee County and Taylor County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1827 and Micco was designated as the first county seat in 1828. The first courthouse was a log cabin built in Micco in 1835. In 1836, the county seat was moved to Wallburg and the second courthouse was built. The county seat was moved to Jasper in 1838. The third courthouse was a two story frame structure built in Jasper in 1856 at a cost of $2,000. The fourth courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by George H Kennedy and constructed by J W Bynum in 1891 at a cost of $15,000. The building was destroyed by fire in 1929. In 1931 to 1932, the building was reconstructed as the fifth courthouse with the architect, Mark & Sheftall and the contractor, Bland & Foster.  

 

See:  The county is located in the First Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – First Judicial District located in Tallahassee.

 

 

1247f09

County Courthouse – Jasper

 

 

1248f09

 

 

1249f09

 

 

1252f09

 

 

1251f09

Photos taken 2009