Gulf County is named for the Gulf of Mexico which lies along the southern boundary of the county.
Created: June 6, 1925
Wewahitchka 1925 – 1965
Port Saint Joe 1965 – present
County Courthouse – Port Saint Joe
Location: 1000 Cecil G Costin Sr. Boulevard / Library Drive
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Joseph L Donofro and Paul A Donofro
Contractor: Ouin & Hunt
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a recessed entrance in the center with narrow vertical windows on either side. The second story is small and has small windows. At the top of the roof is a small cupola.
Old County Courthouse – Wewahitchka
Location: 222 North 2nd Street / Lake Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Warren, Knight & Davis of Birmingham, Alabama
Contractor: H H Taylor
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the third story. The center section of the building projects from the main building which has north and south two story wings. A wide white colored belt runs along the roof line of the wings and above the second story. The roof line is flat.
N – Calhoun County
S – Franklin County and Gulf of Mexico
W – Gulf of Mexico and Bay County
Photos taken 2009