Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Gulf of Mexico
S – Gulf of Mexico
W – Gulf County
Created: March 11, 1832
St. Joseph ( Gulf ) 1832 – 1833
Apalachicola 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Apalachicola
Location: 33 Market Street / Avenue C
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco and Roman
Architect: Warren, Knight & Davis of Birmingham, Alabama
Contractor: A J Honeycutt Company Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Apalachicola. The west front extends from the main building and has a recessed porch with two large columns rising to a wide header. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line. There is stone trim along the corners and the roof line is flat. The building was a Works Progress Administration project. The building was enlarged on the east side in 1969. The architect was Norman Gross and the contractor was Kalmetz Construction Company. The building was further enlarged in 1978. The architect was G Michael George & Associates and the contractor was Whitesell-Green. Renovations were made in 2008 and the architect was Johnson Peterson and the contractor was Peter Brown.
History: Courthouse designed by McDonald Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky and constructed by Will L Landrum in 1892. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1939 to 1940.
County Courthouse - Apalachicola
Photos taken 2009