Escambia County

US States / A-G / Florida / Escambia County
Escambia

Escambia County is named for the Escambia River which name comes from a Spanish word for “barter” or “exchange”, or from the Creek Native American word “Shambia” meaning “clear water”.

 

Created:  July 21, 1821

County Seat:

Pensacola  1821 – present

 

County Courthouse – Pensacola 

 

Location:  190 West Government Street / South Baylen Street

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hugh J Leitch, Ellis W Bullock, Look & Morrison, Marshall & McNeal and Hennington, Durham & Richards

Contractor:  Dyson & Company

 

Description: The building faces east and is a five story buff colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The east  front has a projecting section with large open square arch and glass walls along the south side. The building rises in a series of projecting square modules. The building is named as the M C Blanchard Judicial Building and was remodeled in 1999.

 

Old County Courthouse – Pensacola 

 

1524f09

 

Location:  221 Palafox Street / West Government Street

Built:  1887 – 1888

Style:  Renaissance Revival

Architect:  Mifflin E Bell

Contractor:   Mifflin E Bell and S S Leonard. ( stone mason )

 

Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored limestone structure. The east front has a wide portico supported by four sets of double columns rising to a balcony on the second story. There are three recessed doorways. The center section of the building is recessed. Along the edge of the hipped room are dormers. The building served as the United States Customs and Post Office until 1938 when the County took possession. The architect for the remodeling in 1938 to 1939 was Fulghum & McMurrian. The building was renovated in 2006 and connected to the new Administration Building on the northeast corner.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse built in 1885 was designed by Palliser & Palliser of New York City, New York, who also designed the old courthouse in Knox County, Tennessee

 

County Administration – Pensacola 

 

1519f09

 

Location:  221 Palafox Street / West Government Street

Built:  2004 – 2006

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hatch Mott MacDonald Caldwell Associates and Spencer Maxwell Bullock, Architects

Contractor:   Turner Construction Company and Benchmark Construction Corporation

 

Description: The building faces south and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete  structure. The main entrance is recessed with the old courthouse on the east side and a west wing on the west side.  The entrance has a recessed glass doorway with grill work on the second story and large glass windows on the third and fourth stories. The east entrance is along the north side of the old courthouse. The roof line is flat.

 

Courthouses: 

– Escambia County, Alabama

E – Santa Rosa County

S – Gulf of Mexico

W – Baldwin County, Alabama

 

 

 

1515f09

 

 

1516f09

 

 

1517f09

 

 

1523f09

 

 

1525f09

 

 

1520f09

 

 

1521f09

 

 

1522f09

Photos taken 2009