Dixie County is named for the common nickname for the Southern United States.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Lafayette County
S – Levy County
W – Gulf of Mexico and Taylor County
Created: April 25, 1921
Old Town 1921 – 1922
Cross City 1922 – present
County Courthouse – Cross City
Location: 401 North Cedar Street / East King Avenue
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Harry Burns and Associates of Jacksonville
Contractor: Tassinari Construction Company of Gainesville
Description: The building faces west and is a one story white colored brick, wood and concrete structure. The building faces west and was completed in 1965. The west front has a long porch supported by seven thin pillars. There is an entrance on the south and north sides of the west front. The roof is low and wide. The building was renovated in 1999 to 2003. The architect was Paul Stressing and Associates and the contractor was DeYoung and Dickey.
History: The first courthouse was designed by S J Welch and built in 1924. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1965.
County courthouse – Cross City
Photos taken 2009