Columbia County is named for Christopher Columbus, who was the explorer who discovered America.
Created: February 4, 1832
Newnansville (Alachua ) 1832 – 1859
Lake City 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Lake City
Location: 173 NE Hernando Avenue / East Duval Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Columbia, South Carolina
Contractor: Henry W Otis of Kingston, New York
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brown colored brick and buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. Thewest front has a portico with three arches on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with clock and smaller cupola at the top. An.addition was added on the east side in 2003. The architect was Saxelby Architecture Inc. and the contractor was Contec Rooney Construction Company.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
County Administration – Lake City
Location: 135 NE Hernando Avenue / East Duval Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Modern Classical Revival
Architect: James A Wetmore
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces west and was completed in 1932. The center of the west front has a colonnade of arches on the first story the north and south wings project from the main building. The first story windows are arched and there is trim along the corners and around the windows. The roof is hipped. The building was constructed as as a Post Office.
Photos taken 2009