Citrus County is named for the citrus crops grown in the county.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Sumter County
S – Hernando County
W – Gulf of Mexico
Created: June 2, 1887
Mansfield 1887 – 1891
Inverness 1891 – present
Old County Courthouse – Inverness
Location: 105 SE 1st Avenue / South Main Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classicial Revival
Architect: Willis R Biggers
Contractor: Read-Parker Construction Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The square shaped building is located on landscaped grounds of the Court House Square in the center of Inverness. The southwest front has a high portico with two high columns rising to a wide header. There are similar portico on the sides of the building. On the center of the roof is a black colored octagonal cupola with clock and green colored dome with lantern. The hipped roof has clay tiles. In the interior, the hallways intersect in the center of the building where the Great Seal of Florida is set into the terrazzo floor. The halls have marble wainscoting with luan paneling above. Turned marble stairways are located at the south and north entrances. The courtroom is located in the center of the second story and has a high ceiling. The courthouse was renovated in 1992 to 2000.
See: The courthouse was modeled after the courthouse in Polk County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Citrus County Courthouse
County Courthouse – Inverness
Location: 110 North Apopka Avenue / Courthouse Square
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: James Page
Contractor: Sainer Construction Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Inverness to the north of the old courthouse. The west front has a large central glass wall above the recessed first story with recessed entrance. A white colored concrete band runs above the first story. The roof line is flat. In the interior, there is a tile relief of the Great Seal of Florida in the lobby. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 5th Judicial Circuit. A three story buff colored brick and concrete separate addition was constructed in 2000 to 2002 on the east side with entrance on the north side. The architect was Architect Design Group Inc. and the contractor was Dooley & Mack Constructors.
Note : The county in 2021 to 2022 is remodeling the old Coca Cola plant building at 112 North Apopka Avenue on the north side of the courthouse as an annex to the courthouse. The architect is Hanson Professional; Services Inc. and the contractor is Doly and Zilch Inc.
See: The county is located in the Fifth Judicial District of the Court of Appeal – Fifth Judicial District located in Daytona Beach.
History: The county was created in 1887 and Mansfield was selected as the county seat. The county officers met in a local church and the court met in the residences of Moffat and Gaffney. In 1891, the county seat was moved to Inverness. The first courthouse was a wooded two story Victorian style structure built in 1891 to 1892. The courthouse was moved and burned in 1913. The second courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1913 at a cost of $55,885 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1978 to 1979.
Old County Courthouse - Inverness
County Courthouse – Inverness
Photos taken 2009 and 2023