Charlotte County is named for Charlotte Harbor, a large estuary, and which was named for the English Queen Charlotte Sophia.
Created: April 23, 1921
Punta Gorda 1921 – present
County Courthouse – Punta Gorda
Location: 350 East Marion Avenue / Wood Street
Built: 1998 – 1999
Architect: Fawley-Byrant Architects
Contractor: Metric, Dooey & Mack
Description: The building faces south and is a five story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building has a high square brick tower in the centre with white trim at the top. An arcade runs along the first story of the northeast section with the main entrance at the east side below the high tower. The southeast section of the building is lower. The buildings have a projecting cornice along the roof line.
Old County Courthouse – Punta Gorda
Location: 227 Taylor Street / West Olympic Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Leitner and Henson of St. Petersburg
Contractor: Paul H Smith of Haines City
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The southwest front has a large portico supported by six large columns rising to a header with balcony above. Additions were made in 1960 and 1980.
County Administration – Port Charlotte
Location: 18500 Murd0ck Circle / Tamiami Trail
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Architectural Resources Corporation
Contractor: Peter Brown / Taylor Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front forms a “V” with glass paneled walls. The recessed central entrance is located at the junction of the north and south wings with large white colored cement columns on the front plaza. A wide white colored band runs along the flat roof line.
E – Glades County
S – Lee County
W – Gulf of Mexico and Sarasota County
Photos taken 2009 and 2015