Calhoun County is named for John C Calhoun, who was a United States statesman and Vice President.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Jackson County
E – Liberty County
S – Gulf County
W – Bay County
Created: January 26, 1838
St. Joseph ( Gulf ) 1838 – 1839
Iola ( Gulf ) 1839 – 1848
Abes Spring Bluff 1848 – 1880
Blountstown 1880 – present
County Courthouse – Blountstown
Location: 425 Central Avenue East / Veterans Street
Built: 1972 – 1973
Architect: Charles A Gaskin
Contractor: Dyson Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Blountstown. The north front has a projecting porch supported by six high pillars rising to a wide header at the roof line. The entrance and windows above form a glass wall within the porch area. A wide brown colored horizontal band runs along the flat roof line. The courtroom is located on the south side of the second story.
Old County Courthouse – Blountstown
Location: 314 Central Avenue East / Cayson Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Benjamin Bosworth Smith and the Frank Lockwood
Contractor: Dobson & Archillus
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Blountstown to the west of the courthouse. The south front has a projecting center section with arched entrance and recessed doorway on the first story. The center section rises to a peal above the roof line. The building has a west wing. The roof is hipped. The former courtroom was located on the second story.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Calhoun County Courthouse
History: The first county seats do not appear to have courthouses. In 1880, the county seat was moved to Blountstown from Abes Springs Bluff. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built near the Blount Bluff ( Blountstown ). The second courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1905 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1972 to 1973.
County Courthouse - Blountstown
Old County Courthouse - Blountstown
Photos taken 2009 and 2018