Broward County is named for Napoleon Bonaparte Broward, who was a Governor of Florida.
Created: April 30, 1915
Fort Lauderdale 1915 – present
County Courthouse – Fort Lauderdale
Location: 201 SE 6th Street / SE 3rd Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1928
Architect: Morris Peterman
Contractor: John G Johnson
Description: The building faces south and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The building has a glass wall along south side towards the east end. The east end has a rounded corner with large glass windows and a tall glass pillar. The main entrance is located in the centre section with a ten story section on the west side. The bell from the old courthouse is located in the lobby. The building was enlarged in 1947. An addition was constructed in 1955 to 1956. The architect was William G Crawford and the contractor was Richardson Construction Company. The building was remodeled in 1962. The architect was James M Hartley. The building was enlarged in 1992 with the construction of a north wing and an east wing. The architect was Michael Shiff & Associates Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was a converted school built in 1915. The second courthouse was designed by Morris Peterman and constructed by John G Johnson in 1926.
County Judicial Complex – Fort Lauderdale
Location: SW - SE 6th Street / SE 3rd Avenue
Built: 2012 – 2017
Architect: Spillis Candela & Partners/ Heery/Cartaya Joint Venture
Contractor: Cummings General Contractor
Description: The building faces south and is a twenty story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse. On the east side is a five story section with vertical steel columns on the east side with recessed glass walls. The first story has a porch along on the south side supported by steel columns. On the west and north sides is the twenty story tower with dark blue colored glass walls. The roof line is flat.
Note: The cost of construction was $178,000,000.
County Administration – Fort Lauderdale
Location: 115 South Andrews Avenue / SW 2nd Street
Built: 1984 – 1985
Description: The building faces southeast and is a four story concrete structure.
County Judicial Complex
Photos taken 2009 and 2018