Brevard County is named for Theodore Washington Brevard, who was the State Comptroller and a judge.
Created: January 6, 1844
Susanna ( St. Lucie ) 1855 – 1879
Titusville 1879 – present
County Courthouse – Titusville
Location: 506 South Palm Street / Pine Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Lightman, McDonald & Company of Jacksonville
Contractor: Lightman. McDonald & Company of Jacksonville
Description: The building faces east and is a three story white colored concrete structure. The east entrance has a portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. A cornice ruins below the roof line. The large courtroom is located on the second story and the small courtroom is located on the first story. In 1925, three large wings were added to provide office space. Three large flat roof additions have been added on the two sides and the rear fascade. The building was renovated in 1962. The architect was Hirshberg and Thompson and the contractor was Earl Downs Construction Company. The building is names as the Vassar B Carlton Historic Courthouse.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1882. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $31,477. The additions in 1925, cost $80,000.
County Government Center – Titusville
Location: 400 South Street / South Palm Avenue
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Hirshberg Thompson & Associates
Description: The building faces south and is a six story concrete structure.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Volusia County
County Government Center
Photos taken 2009 and 2018