Sussex County was named by William Penn for the English county of Sussex, which was his home county.
Created: August 8, 1673
Lewis 1673 – 1791
Georgetown 1791 – present
County Courthouse – Georgetown
Location: 1 The Circle / East Market Street
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: William Strickland
Contractor: Layton & Sipple
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southwest front has a wide portico supported by six white colored columns rising to a header with a pediment above the center section. Above the entrance is a small balcony on the second story. A large square brick clock tower rises to a square white colored base with a smaller cupola at the top. The building was remodeled in 1914. The architect was Brinklee & Canning. The building was enlarged in 1969 with an addition constructed on the northeast side of the building.
County Family Court – Georgetown
Location: 22 The Circle / East Market Street
Built: 1986 – 1988
Style: French Renaissance
Architect: French + Ryan, Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a central entrance with small balcony above on the second story. The roof has five dormers on the main section and rises to a balustrade at the top with tall octagonal white colored cupola. The north and south wings have two dormers along the roof. The building is named as the Robert D Thompson Family Court Building.
Old County Court House – Georgetown
Location: SW – South Bedford Street / West Pine Street
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story dark colored wood structure. The northeast front has a central entrance on the first story. There are shutters on the windows. On the roof is a wood belfry. The roof is hipped. The building served as the courthouse until 1837.
E – Cape May County, New Jersey and Atlantic Ocean
Photos taken 2013