New Castle County is named for the town of New Castle by Dutch Governor Anthony Colve as an Anglicization of “Nieuw Amstel”.
Created: August 8, 1673
Wilmington 1673 – present
County Courthouse – Wilmington
Location: 500 King Street / East 4th Street
Built: 1999 – 2002
Architect: Buck Simpers Architects & Associates, Inc., Grozen Samton, Justice Planning Associates, HLM Design, Inc. and Beyer & Associates, Inc.
Contractor: Edis Company and Jacobs Facilities, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a fourteen story concrete and glass structure. The building is sited on a five-acre parcel of land. The building forms an “L” shape with a low four story south wing and a higher east wing. On the west front is a large plaza. The central recessed entrance is on the first story of the east wing. Red colored brick facing is along either side of the entrance. Above is a projecting section with glass panel walls. The windows of the east tower are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The building also houses the Family Court and the Delaware Chancery Court.
See: The Delaware Supreme Court in New Castle County is located to the north at 820 North French Street / East 9th Street.
Old County Courthouse – Wilmington
Location: 1000 North King Street / 11th Street
Built: 1914 – 1916
Style: American Renaissance
Architect: Palmer Hornbostel & Jones
Description: The building faces west and is a three story structure. The west front has a colonnade with entrance section on the north and south sides. The entrances have large fanlights and motifs with a pediment at the roof line. A balustrade runs along the flat roof line. The building was named as the Daniel Herman Courthouse. The building is now an office building.
County Administration – New Castle
Location: 87 Reads Way Commons Boulevard
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The southwest front has a two story recessed glass walled section which projects from the main building. The main building has horizontal windows and the roof line is flat. The building is named as the New Castle County Government Center and was formerly a commercial building which was renovated to house the county offices.
Old County Court House – New Castle
Location: 211 Delaware Street / East 2nd Street
Built: 1730 – 1845
Style: Georgian and Colonial
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red-brown colored brick and wood structure. The building faces southwest and was completed in 1731. The building was constructed in three sections. The west wing was constructed in 1845. The center section has a central entrance with small balcony above on the second story. On the roof ridge is a balustrade with open belfry at the center with red colored roof. The east wing is lower with a central entrance. The building is now a museum.
See: National Register of Historic Places – New Castle County Courthouse
S – Kent County
Photos taken 2013