Kent County was named by William Penn for the English County of Kent.
Created: August 8, 1673
Dover 1673 – present
Old County Courthouse – Dover
Location: 38 The Green / South State Street
Built: 1874 – 1875
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: William Strickland
Contractor: Risher Bochman
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has a central entrance with two columns on the first story with small balcony above. A high square tiered clock tower rises above the building front. The second story has large arched windows and gables on the east and west sides. On the south side and the east side is a red colored brick addition which is connected by a walkway to the new courthouse. The building was remodeled in 1916. The architect was Wilson Eyre & McLivain. The building was remodeled in 2010 to 2012. The architect was Moeckel Carbonell/Ricci Greene Associates and the contractor was Nason Construction Inc.
Note: Previously the court met in the Old State House which had been constructed as a courthouse in 1791.
See: Delaware Supreme Court is located on east side of The Green.
County Courthouse – Dover
Location: 414 Federal Street / M L King Boulevard
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Moeckel Carbonell/Ricci Greene Associates
Contractor: Nason Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The north front has a large porch running across the front with many columns and a recessed glass entrance on the east side. The first story has numerous arches with large windows on the second story. The third story is recessed. The roof line is flat. The building is connected on the west side by a walkway to the old courthouse. The building also houses the Delaware Chancery Court in Kent County.
Note: The new courthouse sits on the site of the O’Brien Building constructed in 1978 and which building housed the Kent County administration.
Note: The Family Court is located at 400 Court Street in Dover.
County Administration – Dover
Location: 555 South Bay Road / Blue Hen Boulevard
Built: 2003 – 2005
Architect: Becker Morgan Group
Contractor: The Whiting Turner Contracting Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The southwest corner has a large circular section with pillars and open first story with glass panel entrance. The building has a series of square projecting glass towers along the west and south sides. The roof line is flat.
S – Sussex County
Photos taken 2013