Windham County is named for Windham ( now Wincham ) in Sussex County in England.
Created: May 12, 1726
Windham 1726 – 1819
Brooklyn 1819 – 1895
Putnam 1895 – 1960
Willimantic 1895 – 1960
Counties discontinued in 1960
Old County Courthouse – Willimantic
Location: 979 Main Street / High Street
Built: 1894 – 1896
Architect: Warren R Briggs of Bridgeport
Contractor: Jeremiah O’Sullivan
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a projecting center section with recessed porch on the first story with two columns. There is a wide balcony on the second story with large arched window and two columns. Above is a pediment. The foundation is course brown colored stone. On the center of the roof is a high green colored clock tower with octagonal cupola at the top. The roof is hipped. On the north side is a rectangular red colored brick structure with large auditorium. The building now serves as the Town Hall. The building was renovated in 1978. The architect was Robert H Gantner of Willimantic and the contractor was A J Pepin and Son, Inc. of Columbia.
County Courthouse – Willimantic
Location: 108 Valley Street / North Street
Built: 1970 – 1972
Architect: The Lawrence Associates
Contractor: J S Nasin Company
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a central recessed entrance. The windows are vertical. The roof line is flat with an over hang.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Worcester County, Massachusetts
W – Tolland County
Photos taken 2014