Hartford County is derived from “Hertford”, the birth place of Samuel Stone who established settlement with Thomas Hooker. Also derived from “hart”, or stag, standing in a ”ford”, or stream.
Created: May 10, 1666
Hartford 1666 – present
Counties discontinued in 1960
County Courthouse – Hartford
Location: 95 Washington Street / Grand Street
Built: 1926 – 1929
Style: Art Deco and Beaux Arts
Architect: Paul P Cret of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Smith & Bassette of Hartford
Contractor: E J Pinney Inc. of Springfield, Massachusetts
Description: The building faces east and is a four story stone and concrete structure. The rectangular building has vertical pilasters along the front with windows between. At the third story is a projecting ornamented eave with recessed fourth story above. The building contains 15 different kinds of marble from the soft St. Memy stone from the coast of Normandy in France to pink colored Tennessee marble. There are two open courtyards. The roof line is flat. The building now serves as the Hartford Judicial District Courthouse and is named the Richard D Tulisano Courthouse. The building is connected to the Criminal Courts Building by an overhead walkway on the northwest side.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and built by John C Mead in 1885.
County Criminal Courthouse – Hartford
Location: 101 Lafayette Street / Russ Street
Built: 1984 – 1986
Contractor: Associated Construction.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds..The east front has a projecting center section on the second and third stories. The first story is recessed with central entrance. On the north and south sides, the windows are vertical. The roof line is flat. The building is named the Criminal Courts Building and is connected to the Courthouse by an overhead walkway on the southeast corner..
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Hampden County, Massachusetts
E – Tolland County
Photos taken 1999 and 2017