Fairfield County is named for the hundreds of acres of salt marsh that bordered the coast.
Created: May 10, 1666
Fairfield 1666 – 1853
Bridgeport 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Bridgeport
Location: 172 Golden Hill Street / Main Street
Built: 1887 – 1888
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Warren Richard Briggs
Contractor: A B Treat
Description: The building faces south and is a four story red colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south side has a gray colored stone on the first story and a high central tower with clock and steep green colored roof. On the first story are three large arches with recessed entrance. On the west side is a crenellated tower. The southeast corner has an octagonal shaped tower with crenellated at the tip. The roof is hipped. The building houses the Superior Court.. The building was remodeled in 1915. The architect was Briggs & Caldwell.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1720 and was burned by British troops during the American Revolutionary War. The second courthouse was built in 1794. In 1853 to 1854, the third courthouse was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis and built at State Street and Broad Street and is now the City Hall Annex. The cost was $75,000.
District Courthouse – Bridgeport
Location: 1061 Main Street / Fairfield Avenue
Built: 1971 – 1973
Architect: Lyons, Mather & Lechner
Contractor: Fusco-Amatruda Company
Description: The building faces east and is a six story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The east front has a central entrance on the first story. Vertical concrete dividers run between the windows. The building corners are red colored brick. The roof line is flat.
Other Branch Courthouses
E – New Haven County
S – Long Island Sound
Photos taken 2017