Washington County is named for President George Washington, the first President of the United States.
Created: February 8, 1887
Akron 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Akron
Location: 115 Ash Avenue / East 2nd Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Architect: John James Huddart of Denver
Contractor: Smith and McCarthy
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. On the center of the roof is a small square white colored cupola with red colored roof. At the west front is a red colored brick portico with white colored balustrade balcony above. On the roof are dormer windows. A jail addition was added to the rear of the building. On the east side is a one story red colored brick Courthouse Annex.
Note: The cost of construction was $65,000.
See: The architect, John J Huddart of Denver, Colorado, designed courthouses in Colorado in Arapahoe County, Cheyenne County, Custer County, Elbert County, Logan County, Saguache County and Summit County and in Nebraska in Deuel County and Garden County.
County Justice Center - Akron
Location: 26861 Highway 34 / County Road DD
Built: 2000 – 2001
Architect: Durrant Architect, Inc.
Description: The building is a one story concrete structure. The building is located southeast of the city along highway 34.
N – Logan County
E – Yuma County
Photos taken 2007 and 2016