Larimer County

US States / A-G / Colorado / Larimer County
Larimer

Larimer County is named for William Larimer, a pioneer in the area.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Albany County, Wyoming and Laramie County, Wyoming

E – Weld County

S – Boulder County

W – Grand County and Jackson County

 

Created:  November 1, 1861                  Map of Colorado highlighting Larimer County

County Seat:

Laporte       1861 – 1870

Fort Collins 1870 – present

 

County Courthouse Offices – Fort Collins

 

Location:  200 West Oak Street / North Madison Street

Built:  2001 – 2003

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Fentress Bradburn Architects Ltd

Contractor:  Hensel Phelps Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces south and is a five story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fort Collins. On the south front is an octagonal red colored brick tower with long windows. A square red colored brick arch frames the entrance. Along the first story are large arches. The building is named as the Larimer County Courthouse Offices and is located on the site of the courthouse constructed in 1955 - 1957. The Spencer Wing was designed by William B Robb and constructed by Pinkard Construction Company in 1970 and forms part of the present building.

 

County Justice Center - Fort Collins

 

larimer-j

 

Location:  201 Laporte Avenue / College Avenue

Built:  1998 – 2000

Style: Modern

Architect:  Fentress Bradburn Architects Ltd.

Contractor:  Hensel Phelps Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces southwest and is a five story orange-red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fort Collins to the north of the courthouse. The main entrance is on the southwest. The building rises from a two story building on the north and east sides to projecting five story towers in the center with slopped green colored roofs. In the interior are 14 courtrooms with the County Court courtrooms located on the third story and the District Court courtrooms located on the fourth and fifth stories. The building houses the County District Court and County Court of the 8th Judicial District.

 

Note:  In 1861, Larimer County was one of the 17 original counties

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Jackson County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1861 and Laporte was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin purchased in 1865 at a cost of $150 and occupied from 1865 to 1868. In 1868, the county seat was moved to Fort Collins. The second courthouse was a two story wood frame structure known as the “Old Grout” building occupied from 1868 to 1882. Temporary quarters were used until the third courthouse, a two story red colored brick structure was designed by Willian Quayle and constructed by Barney Des Jardines in 1887 to 1888 at a cost of $40,000. The courthouse was razed when the fourth courthouse, a two story red colored brick structure was designed by Linden Hogsden & Wright and constructed by M W Watson in 1955 to 1957 at a cost of $1,700,000. The north wing was constructed in 1970 and is part of the new County Courthouse Offices structure. The fifth courthouse was the County Justice Center constructed in 1998 t0 2000. The fourth courthouse was razed except for the northwing, when the County Courthouse Offices was constructed in 2001 to 2003 to house the administration.

 

County Courthouse – Loveland

 

larimer-lov

 

Location:  810 East 10th Street / Monroe Avenue

Built:  2000 – 2003

Style: Modern

Architect:  Fentress Bradburn Architects Ltd

Contractor:  Hensel Phelps Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces north and  is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lovelans. The main entrance is at the northeast corner with a square section on the west and a semi-cicular section on the east. There is a one story section on the northwest. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County Court of the 8th Judicial District and Municipal Court.  The building is named as the Loveland Police and Courts Building.

 

 

0230c11

County Courthouse Offices - Fort Collins

 

 

0231c11

 

 

1186nm07

 

 

0232c11

 

 

0234c11

 

 

0235c11

Plaque 1970 County Courthouse North Wing

 

 

0236c11

Picture 1957 County Courthouse

 

 

0220c11

County Justice Center – Fort Collins

 

 

0221c11

 

 

0222c11

 

 

x_7

 

 

0224c11

 

 

0225c11

 

 

0227c11

 

 

0228c11

 

 

0239c11

Loveland Police and Courts Building – Loveland

 

 

0241c11

 

 

0243c11

 

 

0244c11

Photos taken 2007 and 2011