Kit Carson County

US States / A-G / Colorado / Kit Carson County
Kit Carson

Kit Carson County is named for Christopher Houston ( Kit ) Carson, who was a famous frontier scout and soldier.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Washington County and Yuma County

E – Sherman County, Kansas and Wallace County, Kansas

S – Cheyenne County

W – Lincoln County

 

Created:  April 11, 1889                          Map of Colorado highlighting Kit Carson County

County Seat:

Burlington  1889 – present

 

County Courthouse – Burlington

 

Location:  251 16th Street / Donelan Avenue

Built:  1908 – 1909

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Henry Wasson and others

Contractor:  Henry Wasson and others

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Burlington.  The building has a raised basement and has a high glass entrance on the south side of the east front. The north section is recessed and has vertical divisions with windows between. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court and County Court of the 13th Judicial District.  The original building was rectangular in shape and the west addition is lower in height. In 1949 to 1950, the building was completely remodeled. The architect was Charles H Kellogg of Denver and the contractor was William W McKinley of Burlington. 

 

See:   The 13th Judicial District includes Logan CountyMorgan CountyPhillips CountySedgwick County, Washington County and Yuma County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1889 and Burlington was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story structure built in 1890 and which burned in 1907. The second and present courthouse was a two story red colored brick structure constructed in 1908 to 1909. The building was remodeled in 1949 to 1950.

 

 

1504c11

County Courthouse – Burlington

 

 

1505c11

 

 

1506c11

 

 

1507c11

 

 

1508c11

 

 

1509c11

 

 

1510c11

 

 

x3

Photos taken 2006 and 2011