Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: November 1, 1861
Golden 1861 – present
County Courthouse – Golden
Location: 100 Jefferson County Road / 6th Avenue Freeway
Built: 1991 – 1993
Architect: C W Fentress, J H Bradburn and Associates, PC
Contractor: PCL Construction Services, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a five story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The building is an “X” shape with four wings radiating from the center. The central tower has glass windows on east and west sides and has an atrium rising to a glass skylight. The semi-circular building on the north houses the courts and the semi-circular building on the south houses the administration.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by W H J Nicholls and constructed by Robert Millikin in 1877. The previous courthouse was designed by Henry Koch and constructed in 1953 at 17th Street and Arapahoe Street. The building was demolished along with the Hall of Justice.
S – Park County
Photos taken 2011