Gunnison County

US States / A-G / Colorado / Gunnison County
Gunnison

Gunnison County is named for John W Gunnison, who was a United States Army officer and Captain of the Army Topographical Engineers who surveyed for the    transcontinental railroad in 1853.

 

Created:  March 9 1877

County Seat:

Gunnison  1877 – present

 

County Courthouse – Gunnison

 

Location:  200 East Virginia Avenue / North Iowa Street

Built:  1880 – 1881

Style:  Victorian

Architect:   James Greer and Schuler & Shea

Contractor:  James Greer and Schuler & Shea and N J Fine

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story yellow colored stuccoed brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The center section with hipped roof was built first. The bricks came from the Harland Brothers brick yard that was located south of the city. The brick has since been covered with stucco. North and south wings were added and the original structure now forms the central nucleus of the present Courthouse complex. Several added wings and a series of remodeling efforts have significantly altered the appearance of the structure. The building was demolished in 2013 except for the center section which forms part of the new courthouse.

 

Note:  The masonry was awarded to James Greer and the carpentry awarded to Schuler & Shea.and when they defaulted the contract was relet on September 12, 1881 to N J Fine for $4,000.

 

New County Courthouse – Gunnison

 

Location:  200 East Virginia Avenue / North Iowa Street

Built:  2013 – 2015

Style:  Modern

Architect:   Merrick & Company Architects

Contractor:   G E Johnson Construcyion

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story brick, glass and concrete structure. The center section is the original 1881 building. There are north and south sections with hipped roofs.

 

County Administration – Gunnison

 

1341c11

 

Location:  221 North Wisconsin Street / West Virginia Avenue

Built:  1925 – 1926

Style:  Spanish Colonial

Architect:   Unknown

Contractor:   Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building was constructed as the Blackstock Elementary School and converted in 1997 for use as county offices. The main building has a central entrance on the east side with low north and south wings with flat roof lines and which extend to the street line. The roof is red colored tile. The building houses the County Criminal Court.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Mesa County and Pitkin County

E – Chaffeee County

S – Saguache County and Hinsdale County

W – Ouray CountyMontrose County and Delta County

 

 

 

1344c11

 

 

1345c11

 

 

1346c11

 

 

x1_5

 

 

1339c11

 

 

1340c11

 

 

1342c11

 

 

1343c11

Photos taken 2011