Gilpin County is named for William Gilpin, who was the first Governor of the Territory of Colorado.
Created: November 1, 1861
Central City 1861 – present
County Courthouse – Central City
Location: 202 Eureka Street / Spruce Street
Built: 1899 – 1900
Architect: Lamont & Ballard
Contractor: Lamont & Ballard
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building sits on a rise above the street level. The south front has three large arches at the entrance with a balcony on the second story. Above the third story, the roof rises to a peak. On the east and west are square red brick towers with arched windows on the third story. The building was restored in 1999.
County Justice Center – Blackhawk
Location: 2960 Dolly Hill Road / Gate Canyon Road
Built: 1994 – 1995
Architect: Caudill Gustafson & Associates
Contractor: Newstrom-Davis Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone and concrete structure. The building is located in Blackhawk and sits on a rise. The north front has a large canopy with sloped roof. Above is another sloped roof with glass windows below. The east and west wings have sloped roofs.
Old County Courthouse – Cental City
Location: 117 Eureka Street / Pine Street
Built: 1861 – 1862
Architect: William Z Cozens
Contractor: William Z Cozens
Description: The building faces south and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is known as Washington Hall. Wood framing was placed over the log frame. The courtroom was added in 1864. The building served from 1868 to 1900 as the courthouse.
N – Boulder County
E – Jefferson County
W – Grand County
Photos taken 2011