Fremont County is named for John Charles Fremont, who was an explorer, United States general and United States Senator from California.
Created: November 1, 1861
Canon City 1861 – present
County Justice Center – Canon City
Location: 136 Justice Center Road / Fremont Drive
Built: 1998 – 2002
Architect: MCB Architects, PC
Contractor: Schauer Construction Company Limited
Description: The building faces south and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The south front has a one story entrance section with large windows. On the northwest is the four story section. On the east is a two story wing.
County Courthouse – Canon City
Location: 615 Macon Avenue / North 7th Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: Nixon & Jones
Contractor: Ross E Cox
Description: The building faces south and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building served as the courthouse until 2000 when the County Justice Center was constructed.
S – Custer County
Photos taken 2011