Elbert County is named for Samuel Hitt Elbert, who was the sixth Governor of the Territory of Colorado.
Created: February 2, 1874
Kiowa 1874 – present
Old County Courthouse – Kiowa
Location: 215 Comanche Street / Pawnee Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John James Huddart of Denver
Contractor: M J Kenney of Denver
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The rectangular building has a stone lintel above the first story entrance on the south side. A horizontal band runs below the eaves of the hipped roof. The building serves as the County Administration Building.
See: The architect, John J Huddart of Denver, Colorado, designed courthouses in Colorado in Arapahoe County, Cheyenne County, Custer County, Logan County, Saguache County, Summit County and Washington County and in Nebraska in Deuel County and Garden County.
County Courthouse – Kiowa
Location: 751 Ute Avenue / Shoshone Street
Built: 2007 – 2008
Architect: Humphries-Poli Architects, PC of Denver
Contractor: White Construction Group of Castle Rock
Description: The building faces east and is a one story concrete and stone structure. Along the east front hare vertical wood pillars. The windows are horizontal along the south side of the front. The roof line is flat.
N – Arapahoe County
E – Lincoln County
W – Douglas County
Photos taken 2011