El Paso County is named for the Ute Pass which is “el paso” in Spanish meaning “the pass”.
Created: November 1, 1861
Colorado Springs 1861 – present
County Courthouse – Colorado Springs
Location: 270 Tejon Street / East Vermijo Avenue
Built: 2002 – 2006
Architect: Anderson Mason Dale
Contractor: George Johnson Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The entrance is a glass two story structure in the centre of the south building and north building. The engineer was DLR Grant.
Old County Courthouse – Colorado Springs
Location: 215 South Tejon Street / East Vermijo Avenue
Built: 1903 – 1904
Architect: A J Smith
Contractor: Archie Gillis and Angus Gillis
Description: The building faces east and is a two story stone structure. The building is now a museum.
County Administration – Colorado Springs
Location: 28 East Vermijo Avenue / Tejon Street
Built: 1957 – 1960
Architect: Earle A Deits
Description: The building faces north and is a five story concrete and aluminum structure. The building was the courthouse until the new courthouse to the north was constructed in 2002 to 2006..
S – Pueblo County
Photos taken 2011