Douglas County is named for Stephen Arnold Douglas, who was a United States Senator from Illinois from 1847 to 1861.
Created: November 1, 1861
Castle Rock 1861 – present
County Courthouse – Castle Rock
Location: 301 Wilcox Street / 3rd Street
Built: 1979 – 1981
Architect: Hoover/Berg/Desmond Architects
Contractor: Fischer-White Contractors, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a projecting central section rising three stories with a recessed entrance on the first story. The north and south wings also project. The roof line is flat. The building was expanded in 1998 to 1999 to include a stone bell tower and red brick façade. The architect was Anderson Mason Dale and the contractor was Taylor Bell, LLC.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by WR Parsons & Son and constructed by J M Anderson. in 1889 The building was destroyed by fire on March 11, 1978
County Justice Center - Castle Rock
Location: 4000 Justice Way / Castleton Court
Built: 1997 – 1998
Architect: HOK ( Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum )
Contractor: PCL Construction Service and Swinerton Builders Incorporated
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story bluff-orange colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The northwest front has a central glass tower rising to a curved roof. A long canopy extends from the building. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the “Robert A Christenson Justice Center”. The building was expanded in 2003 to 2006. The architect was HOK ( Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum )and the contractor was Swinerton Builders Incorporated. A further expansion was started in 2012. The architect was Klipp Architecture and the contractor was Swinerton Builders Incorporated.
N – Arapahoe County
E – Elbert County
W – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2011 and 2016