Denver County is named for General James W Denver, who was a Territorial Governor of Kansas Territory.
Created: November 15, 1902
Denver 1902 – present
County Courthouse – Denver
Location: 1437 Bannock Street / West Colfax Avenue
Built: 1930 – 1932
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Allied Architects Association ( 39 architects )
Contractor: Peter Seere
Description: The building faces east and is a four story stone and concrete structure. The east front has six high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building forms a crescent shape. On the center of the roof is a bell tower. The building was remodeled in 1965.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frederick Carl Eberly and constructed by Lester Filler and Peter Gumry in 1883. The building was enlarged in 1893. The architect was Frank Anderson.
County Justice Center – Denver
Location: 520 West Colfax Avenue / Fox Street
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Klipp Architectural Planning Interiors, Ricci Green Associates and Harold Massop Associates
Contractor: Hensel Pheleps Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a five story glass and concrete structure. The building has glass walls and is constructed with projecting angles. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse.
See: The Colorado Supreme Court is located in the county.
N – Adams County
S – Arapahoe County
W – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2011 and 2016